At StarkMD, we offer a range of hand rejuvenation options to resolve unwanted cosmetic issues in the hands, including sun spots or age spots, as well as loss of volume in the hands.
What is hand rejuvenation?
Hand rejuvenation restores a more youthful, firm, plump look to your hands. As you age, the skin on your hands becomes thinner, with tendons and veins becoming more visible. At Stark MD, we perform custom hand rejuvenation treatments to restore the firm, plump look of youthful hands.
Hand rejuvenation with skin treatment
While volume restoration addresses the volume of the hands, skin treatment addresses the surface of the hands. This treatment modality can address liver spots, sun spots, and a number of other unwanted blemishes.
By using fractional resurfacing lasers in conjunction with IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), we can treat dark spots on the hands as well as wrinkles. In skin resurfacing, a fractional laser projects light into the deeper layers of the skin. This coagulates the tissue in the treated area and stimulates regeneration of skin cells, creating thicker, healthier skin. IPL targets dark spots and freckles. There is minimal downtime with this procedure.
Hand rejuvenation with volume restoration
In restoring volume to the hands, Dr. Stark will use one of two treatment options:
- Fat transfer: During fat transfer, Dr. Stark uses fat from one part of the body and transfers it into the hands, filling out veins and tendons. First, he uses liposuction to harvest fat from one part of the body, such as the abdomen, hips, or flanks. He then purifies this fat and prepares it for re-injection. This fat is then used to contour the backs of the hands, creating a more youthful appearance. Because your own fat is used, some of these fat cells will be re-absorbed. As such, as slightly overfill the area to compensate for this. There will be some swelling and bruising, which will dissipate within one week.
- Dermal fillers: Dermal fillers are a popular choice in adding volume to the hands. Specifically, Radiesse and Restalyne Lyft have been FDA-approved to restore lost volume on the backs of the hands. Dermal filler treatment is non-invasive and requires only a topical numbing cream to provide comfort during the injections. The restored volume lasts a year or longer.
Am I a candidate for hand rejuvenation?
- You have thinner, less elastic skin on your hands
- Sun spots and age spots are visible on your hands
- Veins and tendons have become more visible
During your initial consultation, Dr. Stark will evaluate the condition of your hands to create a custom hand rejuvenation treatment plan. If your hands are beginning to show your age, we can restore a far more youthful appearance with safe and effective procedures.
What is the recovery time for hand rejuvenation?
The recovery time depends on the procedures necessary to achieve your desired results. Laser therapy and dermal fillers produce little recovery time. Restoring volume with natural fat transfer requires a slightly longer recovery period.
Schedule a consultation
To learn more about hand rejuvenation in Pennsylvania, your next step is a private consultation with Dr. Stark. Please call our office to schedule an appointment.